Management is about persuading people to do things they do not want to do, while leadership is about inspiring people to do things they never thought they could.
Photo source: own photo
- According to the dictionary, a leader is the principal player of a group. This means this type of player leads the group to do the right thing.
- This brings us to the question: What is the difference between a leader and a manager??
Leaders – people who do the right things and who inspire others by creating and maintaining resonance.
Managers – people who do things (that need to be done) right.
- Emotions get involved in the game. People can pick up others’ emotions and mirror neurons can mimic actions of others. Thus, leaders need to be very careful and they should have self-control. At the same time, they should protect themselves from having sacrifice syndrome.
- Mindfulness pray (such as Yoga or any other meditating exercise);Compassion (such as having pets or volunteering); Hope (feeling hopeful about the future) and Joy help to overcome problems/syndromes.
- Also DO NOT forget to REST!! Your body needs a recovery every once in a while (even your phone does that, give yourself a break!).
- Leadership behaviors:
- Emotional Self-awareness – paying attention to the emotions and their effects
- Emotional Self-Control – being aware of destructive impulses and being able to get them under control
- Adaptability – being able to handle changes
- Achievement Orientation – making an effort to meet a standard of excellence
- Positive Outlook – seeing the positive aspects of things and life
- Empathy – being able to sense others’ emotions/opinions and taking them seriously
- Organizational Awareness – sensing a group of people’s emotional currents and reading their relationships
- Coach & Mentor – reading others’ needs and supporting their skills
- Inspirational Leadership – Inspiring individuals and groups
- Influence – motiving them
- Conflict Management – understanding and resolving disagreements
- Teamwork – working with others, creating group synergy
(Source: “Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence” offered by Coursera)
If you are interested to learn more about Neuroscience and Leadership:
An interesting course offered by MIT – Neuroscience for Leadership
- According to Total Leadership, you will be happier and more productive if you follow 4 way win:
Be a Leader at WORK, HOME, COMMUNITY, YOURSELF
- Also follow these 3 principles:
Be real – act with authenticity
Be whole – act with integrity
Be innovative – act with creativity
- Always ask yourself:
What are my core values and beliefs as a leader?
What kind of leader do I want to become?
What will be my leadership legacy?
- Bottom Lines:
1. WIN SMALL, WIN SMART
2. The richer your social network, the richer your life.